The Sant Agustí convent has recovered its historical building complex for public use. The final outstanding operation, involving the remodelling of the five chapels adjoining the cloister, has been completed.
This brings to an end the process which started in the mid 1990’s to recover the old convent and turn it into a community amenity at the service of the neighbourhood.
The five chapels recovered are part of the Sant Agustí church, which dates back to the 12th century and is in the Gothic style. These chapels were among the few features of the church to have been left intact after the bombardment of Barcelona in 1714. They also served as a link between the church’s nave and the convent’s cloister, which dates back to the 14th century.
This remodelling has enabled the chapels to be reused as culture-oriented venues, as they have been fitted out as new exhibition spaces, along with three underground rooms.